Thursday, June 7, 2012

Berry Rosemary Cocktail


Our potted rosemary sprigs are out of control right now. We're talking big ol' rosemary stalks the size of snakes. Something had to be done. To be honest, I had no idea how to correctly harvest rosemary, so I followed my instincts and cut off one large sprig of rosemary from it's base. 

This is a simple springy cocktail that, most likely, uses ingredients you already have on hand (or in your herb garden!). I used blackberries, but raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or a combination would be delicious. Perhaps what is fresh at your local market or arrives in your CSA box would do the trick.  It's sweet, but the rosemary adds just a hint of herby flavor, which I happen to love in a  warm weather cocktail. 

Berry Rosemary Cocktail

20 berries of your choice
1 large rosemary sprig, or 2 smaller ones
Juice of one lime
3 Tablespoons of Simple Syrup
1/4 Cup of Gin
Ice
Sparkling Water

Muddle the berries and rosemary in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Add lime juice, simple syrup, gin, and ice. Shake well till chilled and flavors are combined. Fill glasses 3/4 full and top with sparkling water. Garnish with a rosemary sprig and fancy straw. 


This post is part of the From the Garden and Farm Summer Series

5 comments:

Allie Peach said...

Kara,
this is perfect! I, too, have an out-of-control rosemary plant and blueberries from our CSA pick-up last week! Looks like I'm going to have to re-stock the gin in our bar ;)

Thanks!

Caroline said...

Oh this looks so delicious! And GREAT STYLING! :) It's fun to see you develop into a true "food" blogger!

Slwydamucow3 said...

Fun, thanks for the share!

Chantal Hanna said...

Oh my gosh that looks absolutely amazing!! Once the sun decides to make an appearance n the UK I'm going to make it.....actually why am I bothering to wait for the sun, this is the perfect looking drink to make me feel summery!
Thanks
Chantal x
http://chantallovesvintage.blogspot.co.uk

Story Tellers Vintage said...

I'm intriqued by the idea of rosemary for a cocktail..I'll be trying this once are blackberries are ready to pick!
Thanks for the recipe!