Friday, September 19, 2008

Or just make pies all day....

If anyone gets the title reference from Patty Griffin, I love you even more than I already did.

Moving on. . .


Welcome to the new "Eye Candy Friday" series. I even made a cute little logo we'll use week to week. Each week will have a new theme.


This week's Theme?

PIE SAFES!! No particular reason for this. Other than I love them, and I want one. Enjoy!

"Fresh-baked berry pies were a seasonal rarity on a pioneer homestead, and they needed protection from small children and other varmints. Cook's answer was a pie safe: a cabinet with tight joints and close-fitting doors to exclude pests and retain enough humidity to keep pies moist, but also featuring tiny, ant and gnat excluding perforations in the door so air could circulate to prevent mold." Motherearthnews.com






My two favorites follow...




If you have a pie safe you would like to show off in your home, if you've made your own pie safe or if there is a pie safe out there you are dying to have, post it! I'd love to see :) And, I'm sure everyone else would too!

And with all of this talk of pie, you may be hungry...

So make this pie with your mom (like I do), or daughter...or son...or alone...




Come back and see me!

~Kara

12 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

OH, that last picture of the pie safe is killing me. The blue and yellow one? It's perfect!

Megan said...

I am so glad you described what I pie safe & why it was used. I was terribly confused!

Megan said...

I like your new photo..very pretty! Job situation is going well. So far I still have a job with the same company, as they haven't decided to close yet. There is a board meeting mid-October, so I should know more by then :)

New Girl on Post said...

What a delicious looking recipe! I will have to make this!

Isn't that sweater just the cutest? I love it too, it's definetly on my must-have list.

Whitney said...

Those pies make me want to scream. They are FABULOUS looking. Why did you have to go and post those?! Geeze. Now I have to have a bite.

And I love the pie safes. How neat!

Lettered Cottage said...

That first one is to DIE FOR!
Good grief....now I have to add PIE SAFE to my list of must haves.

:-)
Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Joy said...

Mmmmm! Likin' this p-eye candy. My favorites are the same as yours. And the pie looks delicious!

Leacayoungart said...

those are adorable. i bet people have some cute uses for them now.

ROXY said...

yummm that recipe sounds delish!! I just love baking pies in the fall. Thanks for stopping by and for the advice you offered for my fireplace makeover! I really appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon:)

Shannon said...

I love pie safes and the last one is my favorite too! That apple pie looks so good!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Yummy apple pie! I need to stop baking...I'm gaining weight! UGH! Made that nobake cheesecake that I posted a few days ago on my blog...it was ver good & very rich! Like pecan pie.

Mrs Anne said...

Hi there!

I found your Blog thru Megan.. :)

I LOVE pie safes! In fact... the other day... believe this or not... I found one by the dumpster at my apt. It's amazing... :)

I have yet to refinish it. But love it!

Great pics!