Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Can't Help Myself

Being with Jake has taught me a lot about the power of honesty in the songs we sing of worship.

How fortunate we are that we are able to bring our grievances, struggles, praises, doubts, and delights to a very good God who is willing to accept our offering to him ... as feeble as it may be.

When we are honest with God about the struggles of following Him, it forces us to be honest with ourselves. We have to unveil our own ignorance to be honest.

This song is that for me today. I'm thankful for the Psalms and for the authors of new and old hymns, and the musicians who are brave enough to lead us through the very real struggles of walking with God. It is most certainly to our benefit as believers and to God's glory.



I confess the things I am afraid of: thorns and danger just around the bend
I pray for tongues of fire and bands of angels to come and circle 'round me like a fence
I lift my eyes to the hills, where comes my help?
I lift my hands--empty hands--I can't help myself
I can't help myself; no, I can't help myself

My enemies surround me like an army--within, without, the battle's raging on
I pray the Spirit will be strong and mighty for courage through the night until the dawn
I lift my eyes to the hills, where comes my help?
I lift my hands--empty hands--I can't help myself
I can't help myself; no, I can't help myself

Oh trust the Lord--my soul and all that is in me--oh trust the light to show your darkest parts
With wounds of truth and love, a friend who has known me; a fool would keep his secrets in his heart
I lift my eyes to the hills; here comes my help
I lift my hands--empty hands--I can't help myself
I can't help myself, can't help myself
Can't help myself; no, I can't help myself; I can't help myself

No comments: