Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Beyond My Imagination

I read this book this weekend.

It's a collection of short stories, and each one was wonderful. I'm still trying to decide on my favorite.

It made me value stories where life is more real than pleasant ... and where people are more complicated than expected.



You may want to go read it.

In fact I suggest you do.

I can't stop thinking about the way the last story ends...with this quote:

"Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination."

Don't you just feel that way sometimes? When ordinary life is just extraordinary... when colors seem brighter and boring landscapes seem breathtaking and you can still taste that perfect meal.... When life is peppered with regular ol' stuff that can make any every experience worthwhile?

I love those moments.

And I loved the book.

What have you read lately and loved?

2 comments:

Cook Scrap Craft said...

Have you read The Namesake, also by Jhumpa Lahiri? It's really good, too, and much better than the movie.

Yesterday I finished Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. I really liked it! Very interesting novel about people at an advertising firm. Sort of Office Space meets Fight Club (for its weirdness) meets George Clooney in Up in the Air.

mrs.stark said...

I read this book years ago in college and fell absolutely in love with it. I have since read everything Jhumpa Lahiri has written. I'm always on the look out for her writings. She's an amazing writer. :)