Friday, December 12, 2008

How to make a Starbucks Yarn Wreath

As most of you know, I recently walked into Starbucks and saw this bad boy. A beautiful ornament yarn ball wreath at Starbucks, and I got smacked over the head with a big ol' case of "Hey, I can make that!"

So I did. And I'm going to show you how to as well!



What you will need:
- A wire wreath form found in the floral section of the craft store. I got mine for only $2.47
- Two packages of Styrofoam balls. You can use all the same size, or varying sizes. I went for all the same
- Two colors of yarn. I found great "eco friendly" soft yarn for only $2.86 at Wal-Mart. This may be wrong but I'm not huge on red and green for Christmas. I'm more of a gold and muted green kinda gal, so that's what I went for.
- Two packages of Holiday ornaments from Wal-Mart. They are $5.00 a pack
- Your trusty glue gun
-LOTS of glue sticks.

Step One:
Start wrapping your yarn over the Styrofoam balls. The trick is to wrap in several directions to get the actual yarn ball feel. Only wrap enough to cover any white surfaces, or else you will have larger than life yarn balls. Tuck your loose ends neatly under a strand of yarn already wrapped around the ball. They will hold just dandy.
Your yarn balls should start looking like this...

Step Two:
Repeat step one with your other color of yarn.


Step Three: Roll out some wrapping paper on your bedroom floor, put on some HGTV and lay out all your goods.

Step Four:
Start by gluing your yarn balls, alternating colors to the wreath form. You can probably do a better job at evenly placing them then I did.


Step Five:
Start gluing in your ornaments. I glued two on the wreath form on each side, at the base of each yarn ball. I used a small drop of glue to also affix the ornament to the side of each yarn ball after it was places. So you will have three glue spots-
1- At the top of the ornament (where it usually hangs from) to the base of the wreath
2- One on the left side of the ornament touching a yarn ball
3- One on the right side of the ornament, touching the other yarn ball it was next to
Then, I just plopped an ornament in between each yarn ball on the face of the wreath.


Step Six:
Start admiring your wreath because you love how it's turning out and you love the colors.

Step Six:
You will have a handful of leftover ornaments. Just layer these in wherever you have little gaps, It will give the wreath a fuller look.
Then, You are finished!!! Hang that sucker up and ENJOY your copy cat Starbucks Wreath!



Let me know if you make one! I would love to see how it looks!

Don't forget to join the Pay it Forward event! You have today until 5:00 to get in on the Holiday Cheer package!!
Come back and see me!
~Kara

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

This turned out really cute!! Don't you love when a project turns out the way you pictured it?

Anonymous said...

that's great!! I will have to try that. I have an insane amount of styrofoam balls... I like to make ornaments. :)

Jordan said...

It's really cute! You could use it longer than just Christmas since it's not the "traditional" Christmas colors! =]

Carry Grace said...

I love this! I'll have to remember this for next year!

Kari said...

That is fantastic! How creative are you? I love that you broke it down and made it look so easy. I *LOVE* the yarn balls. So cute!

-Kari

p.s. Thanks for always coming by my blog and commenting! I always look forward to your comments!

Shannon said...

LOVE it! It turned out so cute! I saw those in Starbucks and thought they were very pretty!

Julia Goolia said...

It looks awesome! Great work!

duchess said...

So pretty. I love the colors you used.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Girl, you rock! I love the colors you chose and I just think this looks so cute! Way to go!!
Carrie

Suzann said...

That rocks!!!
I have made a note of this and I'm so gonna make me a couple of those for Christmas next year!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Very cute, Kara! that's a great copy & you made it your own.

Mrs Anne said...

i am IN LOVE with it!!!

next year i'm going to make a mini one! wouldnt that be so cute??

:D

Megan said...

You did SOO good!!!

Trina said...

Awesome! I love it.

Leacayoungart said...

ooooh I want to make one now.

Valley Girl said...

I LOVE it!! I noticed that too at Starbucks, my thought was, hmmmm...I wonder what they do with their decorations after Christmas? It would not be beneath me to go dumpster diving for one of those bad boys! Now I don't have to, thanks!

Costume Diva said...

I had the SAME thought myself! Such a great idea- and yours came out so well! Congrats!

Free Art Printables said...

Love this, I was salivating over this and made a tree instead.. I hope you don't mind If I mention this on my blog and link to it...

Ms. Tee said...

I ventured over from Jen's blog - what a great job you did with this - so pretty!!!

Rebecca/Becky a.k.a Becks said...

Thank you for showing how to make this. I actually went into starbucks last week to see if I could by the decorations after Christmas and got a NO ansewer. I am definatly going to try to make this!

Sandra Evertson said...

YOU are BRILLIANT! And I like your better, the silver is just so elegant!
Season's Greetings!
Sandra Evertson

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

This is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Every time I go into a Starbucks, I want to steal that wreath. Thanks for the easy DIY!!

BTW, this is my first visit to your blog. Love it:)

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and love this tutorial! I am gonna bookmark you right now! Love the wreath and cant wait to make one next Christmas season!

Sherrie said...

That wreath is gorgeous. I am a wreath fanatic and have so darn many that I am running out of places to put them, otherwise I might try and make that myself.

Marie said...

WOW!!!! Your wreath turned out fantastic! I like yours better than the original! I'm saving this post so I can try this for myself next year! :o) Thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Hi, Kara. I had the same idea when I saw the wreath over Thanksgiving and just finished mine this morning: http://dearbeth.wordpress.com/2008/12/29/christmas-wreath/

Whitney said...

Your wreath looks great! I wonder if I made one in non Christmas colors if I could get away with having it out all year around...

Cook Scrap Craft said...

Okay now that everything is on sale, I'm gonna try this so I have one for next year!

Anonymous said...

I so wanted a STBX wreath but was told "NO, THEY AREN'T FOR SALE". I'm going to follow your directions and make one starting tonight. Thanks for posting such complete directions. GerryC

Anonymous said...

I so wanted a STBX wreath but was told "NO, THEY AREN'T FOR SALE". I'm going to follow your directions and make one starting tonight. Thanks for posting such complete directions. GerryC

Anonymous said...

I so wanted a STBX wreath but was told "NO, THEY AREN'T FOR SALE". I'm going to follow your directions and make one starting tonight. Thanks for posting such complete directions. GerryC

Ali said...

I am more than thrilled to say that I actually got 3 of those wreaths by going into some local Starbucks here (Dublin, Ireland) and asking for them!!! I kept one for myself and gave one each to two friends, we also got two matching swags so we were delighted. I wouldn't mind but we had already started to collect the balls and now have a heap of them, LOL.

Kelly said...

I just found your blog, and I love this idea! So cute!

Jordan said...

I work at Starbucks and got to take one of these home last year! I love it! You did an awesome job and I think I might make some more to give as gifts thanks to your awesome tutorial! :) thanks

Stella said...

thanks so much for the tutorial. I wanted one of these SO BAD last year! You can see my version here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eustella/sets/72157622799727491/

Mutuelle sante said...

Thanks it has been a great guide, now to make a starbucks yarn wreath is definitely easy by using your guidance. Thanks