Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kitchen Sink Quinoa


I was quite pleased to find golden beets in a recent CSA share. I love beets, but dealing with the classic red ones makes your kitchen look like a crime scene. Praise the Lord for non-staining and delicious Golden Beets. 

I didn't know what I wanted do with these little gems, so I just roasted them up. Thankfully,  a delicious dinner just kind of happened. I grabbed whatever what going on in the fridge,  added it to some quinoa and topped it with a poached egg ... hence kitchen sink quinoa.  This is the perfect quick and easy weeknight meal. Below is the recipe for what I threw together, but have fun with it! Swap out the veggies and make your own additions. Clean out that fridge!



Kitchen Sink Quinoa

- 1 bunch of golden beets
- 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 granny smith apple chopped or grated
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 bunch of asparagus cut in 1 inch pieces
- A couple of pieces of bacon
- Pea shoots
- 2 Eggs
- Goat cheese
- Prepared quinoa

This is quite the mix up of ingredients. I apologize in advance for a hap hazard recipe

1. Roast up some veggies (in our case golden beets). Olive oil drizzle + s&p + 375 degree oven + 30 minutes = roasted goodness.
2. While you are roasting away crisp some bacon and crumble, make some quinoa (I use the microwave, don't tell)
3. In the pan you cooked the bacon in, grate the apple and onion and cook it over medium heat in coconut oil till soft, add in the garlic and  asparagus and cook through. 
4. Combine it all together and top with a poached egg (Erin will teach you how here), goat cheese,  and some pea shoots from your CSA :)

So that's hardly a recipe, but trust your instincts, use up those veggies, and make your own version of some delicious kitchen sink quinoa! 


This post is part of the From the Garden and Farm Summer Series

1 comment:

Debbie From Illinois said...

Looks yummy! I have not been able to find any golden beets yet. I love the purple beets and I agree with you, they are a mess to prep.

Hope you and Jake are having a great Summer.